Sunday, May 30, 2021

May 25 - Gorgeous Gorges

Tuesday morning the whole gang plus the two very good dogs Katie & Finley packed up in two vehicles and drove into the wild blue yonder in search of the Willis Creek slot canyon (Slot canyons are those photogenic narrow, meandering gorges that you may recognize from Instagram travel accounts & your computer’s default desktop backgrounds.)


The route took us through a small part of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.


The canyons were absolutely breathtaking, and we were happy to see a small yet steady flow of water in the creek, since nearly every waterway in nearby Bryce seemed to have dried up.


Katie-Bell had a blast leading us through the caverns with Finley, who I couldn’t get a photo of since he was too excited to stand still.









Dad tried this door to another dimension, but it was closed for the day.


I made an impressive debut as a pro rock climber.


But decided it wasn’t for me halfway up.


After our hike, we drove further to look into a taller section of the gorge.


Next we drove to Kodachrome State Park, named by National Geographic photographers in the 1940s for the range of colors in its rock formations.  I learned that the lyrics to that Paul Simon song are NOT “Mama don’t take my motorhome away.” 

Glenda & Kim checked if Chimney Rock was a portal to sexy-Scotsman-times.  No dice!

Everyone wanted a photo of this particular formation although I’m not sure why...

After returning to the campground we all rested and then met back up for dinner at Showdowns Restaurant in nearby Tropic.  The cottonwood trees had started raining fluff just this week, and it goes wherever it pleases.  It’s really beautiful floating through the air, though.


The Giant Ghost of John Wayne bade us farewell after our meal.


The ice cream store down the street was closed so we split a pack of Klondike Bars from the adjoining market and watched the sunset hit the mesas in the distance.  Take that, Big Ice Cream!


Before bed we all sat around our site’s fire pit and toasted mini-marshmallows over the fire as the Supermoon rose in the sky.  A super moon for a super day! ... I’m very tired, that’s the best I got right now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment