Monday, May 24, 2021

May 21 - Lake Powell

 Crossing into Arizona towards our campsite just across the border in Utah, the skies promised us a beautiful day.  But we didn’t know that the skies had formed a devilish pact with the wind and sand to betray us!  Winds were already so high by the time we pulled in to Lone Rock Campground, that it was iffy whether we’d stay.  But finding a spot without high winds wasn’t really an option in this area, so we figured we might as well have a cool view!

Lone Rock is a formation in a section of Lake Powell, which was formed by damming off the Colorado River.  It really looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.

Winds continued to gain speed as the day went on.  I think it was gusting at ~40mph.  It made it feel even more like another planet.


 Mom & Dad elected to stay in and rest, but I will not allow the elements to be the boss of me!  I wrapped myself in as many fabrics as I could find and walked along the beach and climbed around one of the inlets (mostly dried up - the lake is at record lows this year).


Tumbleweeds are way bigger and way thornier than they look in the cartoons.  They will also full-on body slam you!  I just barely got out of the way of this one.

As forecasted, the winds died down a bit towards sunset, so we pulled out our outdoor chairs and settled in for the show. 


 But not to be outdone by mere meteorologists, they came back with a vengeance after just a few minutes.  We hunkered down for the night and finished 2001.  Surprise - Mom & Dad still not fans.  Can’t win em all!

Tomorrow - Winds vs. Humans Round 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment