Sorry everyone, I am sadly still goat-less. I just couldn’t bear to break up the Stooges. I’ll have to settle for my two boring old cats for a while longer. But would it kill them to just hop around gleefully and wag their tails occasionally?
After some frantic paperwork the night before, our first stop on Monday morning was the P.O. to mail Mom & Dad’s tax return.
Ojo Caliente was the first post office we passed with a parking lot large enough for us to turn the rig around.
Still, it was so tiny that it had one window and a bell to ring for service - a wind chime, to be exact.
On the way to the New Mexico-Colorado border, we passed a big dust devil!
The terrain as we entered Colorado was dramatically different from New Mexico’s. I’m not sure if we were actually seeing the Rockies yet, but it seemed like blue and white snow-capped mountains appeared almost immediately. It was like being inside a Coors can!
We’d had cloudy skies our entire drive, but as we pulled into our Boondockers host’s site in Alamosa, CO, things started looking really ominous, and the temperature had dropped drastically. We barely had time to set up before it started hailing!
Luckily the hailstones weren’t large enough to damage the camper or truck. It was pretty wild to see though!
As the hail eased off, we were all able to take a nap. While we slept, some other Boondockers, a sweet young couple from NC and their goldendoodle, pulled in next to us. The black skies gradually passed over the mountains to the north.
Mom made us a delicious breakfast-for-dinner omelet using fresh eggs gifted to us by Marta that morning.
Temperatures continued to drop and the clouds remained, so we stayed in and I convinced M&D to give 2001: A Space Odyssey another try (I brought Josh’s copy from home.) We made it to the third act before we had to put a pin in it and crash for the night. I’ll keep trying. Hopefully by the end of this trip they’ll be so exhausted that they’ll develop some sort of movie-Stockholm-Syndrome and they’ll have to like it!





I'm with M&D. I hated that movie. Daughter went to University of Denver. While out there years ago I toured Coors. I liked it better than 2001 A Space Odyssey and Hal.
ReplyDeleteColorado ... you never know what kind of weather to expect.....it snowed on me when we were there.... middle of June.... but it's beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWe miss you guys!